We try to keep our GP appointments for patients with more serious health problems.
Before you book an appointment to see a doctor please consider whether an appointment with a practice nurse might be appropriate. They can help you with a wide range of medical problems.
Our receptionists can help you decide which is the right person for you to see.
If you have a cough, cold, headache or other minor ailment try treating yourself at home first. Find out more about treatments for common minor ailments.
Please remember that self-care for common conditions can help free up our GPs’ time, making it easier to get an appointment when you have a more serious condition. For further guidance on which service to use check out this poster : Choose Well Poster – Are you or a family member unwell?
Your pharmacist can help too
Pharmacists are highly trained health professionals and can give you confidential health advice for a range of common illnesses and complaints.
Don’t wait for a GP appointment for coughs, colds, aches and pains. Just call your local pharmacy a call or drop in – there’s no need to make an appointment.
Your pharmacists can also help you decide if you need to see a doctor or nurse.
NHS Direct Wales
08 454 641 is the free NHS non-emergency number.
You should use the NHS service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it’s not a life-threatening situation.
Call NHS Direct if:
- you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency
- you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
- you don’t know who to call or you don’t have a GP to call
- you need health information or reassurance about what to do next
A&E is for life-threatening accidents and emergencies only. Before you go there, ask yourself, “Is it a real emergency?”
If not, please consider using other local health services before you visit A&E.
Should you require dental treatment the doctors here request that you see a dentist.
Here are a few local options:
- Birchgrove Dental Practice, 100 Caerphilly Road, Birchgrove, Cardiff, CF14 4AG029 2069 3858
- Gwena Dental, Lancaster House, 106 Maes-Y-Coed Road, Birchgrove, Cardiff, CF14 4HE 029 20615279
- Charles Street Dental Surgery, 54 Charles Street, City Centre, Cardiff, CF10 2GF 029 2023 0185
- My Dentist, 17 Quay Street, City Centre, Cardiff, CF10 1EA 029 20 373389
- Park Place Dental Practice, Lower Ground Floor, 3-4 Park Place, City Centre, Cardiff, CF10 3DP 029 2037 3831
- St Mary’s Street Dental Surgery, 28 St Mary Street, City Centre, Cardiff, CF10 1AB 029 2037 1393
- Restore Dental Group, 354 Whitchurch Road, Gabalfa, Cardiff, CF14 3NH 029 2061 9461
- Whitchurch Road Dental Surgery, 101 Whitchurch Road, Gabalfa, Cardiff, CF14 3JQ 029 2062 1059
- Tongwynlais Dental Practice, 49 Merthyr Road, Tongwynlais, Cardiff, CF15 7LG 029 2081 1431
- Church Road Dental Practice, 33 Church Road, Whitchurch, Cardiff, CF14 2DY 029 2061 4444
- Six Gables Dental Practice, 27a Penlline Road, Whitchurch, Cardiff, CF14 2AA 029 2069 3664
If you are in dental pain, you should contact the Dental Helpline on 029 20 444 500, which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
You will receive advice on pain relief and will be, if appropriate, booked into the most appropriate emergency location for your problem, which may be a Primary Care Dentist, Community Dentist or the University Dental Hospital.